We are looking for debaters to represent the Czech Republic at the World Schools Debating Championships 2019 which will be held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
All candidates must:
- Be high school students; 14 years of age or older on 23rd July 2019 and not older than 20 on 2nd August 2019
- Be able to attend the championships (23rd July – 2nd August 2019)
- Be fluent in English
- Attend high school in the Czech Republic in last six consecutive months before WSDC 2019
- Have experience with debating, preferably at international level (World Style)
- Be able to cover the cost of the championship (total cost should not exceed 50 000 CZK)
- Be able to attend other international tournaments before WSDC 2019 (probably Zagreb Winter Holidays Open, Bratislava Schools Debating Chamionships, and Prague Debate Spring). Cost for all events should not exceed 15 000 CZK
- Be able to attend regular meetings: on average 1 weekend per month, more frequently before the championship; a week-long bootcamp during the summer holiday 2019
If you are not able to cover full expenditures, you can still apply and ask for financial aid. Please let us know in your application.
Tryouts will be held on 6th October at Gymnázium Nad Alejí in Prague. If you do not live in Prague we strongly suggest you arrive on Friday. In a case you need accommodation in Prague for the duration of the tryouts please contact us well in advance and we will try to help you arranging it, but primarily, try to settle this issue by yourself. You are expected to be present and available on Saturday from 9 am until 8 pm.
Candidates will be asked to fulfill various tasks to prove their debating skills. Among them, to give a speech on a prepared motion (1st proposition), react to questions of the panel consisting of members of the International Committee and additional invited guests, explain how they prepared for the motion. You are supposed to pick one of the listed motions, thoroughly research it and prepare 1st proposition speech of 7 minutes (no points of information). You should also prepare back up materials that you could use in a real debate (evidence, clash points, reactions etc.) and a second speaker constructive argument. After you deliver your speech, the panel will discuss it with you for about 10 minutes. You can choose one of the following motions:
- THBT protectionism is an effective tool to strengthen national economies
- TH supports net neutrality
- THBT development is more important than democracy
You should send your speech and all of the prepared materials to email@example.com by Wednesday October 3rd, 11:59 pm. Do not discuss the motions with your coach, other debaters or judges. It is supposed to be your own research, showcasing your research skills. You can approach the International Committee who will be able to give you an idea of what we expect and general guidance.
Detailed schedule of tryouts will be announced after the deadline for the applications.
If you are interested, please fill in this application form by Saturday 29th September, 11:59 pm. After submission of the application, you will be sent further information.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.