We aim to select 5 debaters for the Czech National Debate Team (NT), 3-6 for the Czech Junior Debate Team (JT), and at least 3 debaters for the Czech IPPF Team.
Czech WSDC Team Members Selection (National Representation)
Each Member is supposed to represent the Czech Republic at the World Schools Debate Championships (WSDC) 2021 in Macau, meeting the National Teams from all over the world. This is a top learning opportunity for high school debaters.
All team members are expected to participate in regular training events (precise plan will be specified by September 1, 2020) as well as at least the following debate tournaments:
- EurOpen 2020 (online);
- WHO 2020 (online);
- Prague Debate Spring 2021;
- two international BP (university-level) competitions in autumn and two in spring.
You can find more information about these events online.
Czech WSDC Junior Team Members Selection
Each Junior Member is supposed to represent the Czech Republic at a variety of international debate events, participating sometimes together with the National Team members. All team Junior Members will benefit from a close cooperation with the National Team coaches and trainers, thus significantly expanding their key debate skills and knowledge and increasing their chances of being selected next time.
The Czech IPPF Team
The Team is supposed to represent the Czech Republic at International Public Policy Forum (IPPF) 2021. Czech IPPF Team members are expected to participate in all stages of the competition. This a great opportunity to develop more general debate skills and build knowledge in specific areas.
All Candidates are expected to submit their Debate CV (A4 max) and Motivation Letter (700 words max) together with an argumentative essay agreeing or disagreeing with the IPPF official motion by 13 September 2020 (according to the IPPF rules). Please send it via single email to email@example.com, the subject will be Tryouts 2020 – Surname.
“The benefits of artificial intelligence outweigh the harms”The IPPF 2020 official motion
Candidates to the NT are expected to come to Gymnázium Nad Alejí, Prague 6, for an interview on Saturday, September 19, 2020. The interview will consist of a Proposition 1 or Opposition 1 Speech on a Prepared Topic, followed by questions from the Interviewing Panel. The order of the interviews (and the sides) will be announced after the registration deadline. All candidates to the NT are also expected to submit their typed Proposition 1 or Opposition 1 cases to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“THW provide safe havens to dictators in exchange for their resignation”Prepared Motion for TOs 2020
Candidates to the NT must comply with the following criteria:
- Be high school students; 14 years of age or older on 7th July 2021 and not older than 20 on 17th July 2021.
- Be able to attend the championships taking place 21th-29th July 2021 (this date may change, although it is not unusual for the WSDC to take place outside July or early August).
- Attend high school in the Czech Republic in the last six consecutive months before WSDC 2021.
- Have experience with debating, preferably at international level (World Style).
- Be able to cover the cost of the championship and other tournaments – total cost should not exceed 50 000 CZK. If you are not able to cover full expenditures, you can still apply and ask for financial aid. Please let us know in your application.
If you are interested, please fill in this application form by Monday, September 13, 11:59 pm. After submission of the application, you will be sent further information.
09.00-09.30 – Arrival
10.00-13.00 – Speeches
13.00-14.00 – Lunch
Since the Interview is held at Gymnázium Nad Alejí, Prague 6, we strongly recommend those who live outside of Prague to arrive on Friday. If you need help with arranging accommodation in Prague, contact us at least two weeks in advance. Please consider this only as a last resort as our capacities are limited.